PDA

View Full Version : Pet Peeves about poker!

kansaspoker
03-07-2005, 08:56 AM
OK list your pet peeves!

#1 When an idiot bluffs at a pot when there is an all in at a tournament. Your pair of 3's coulda won but the guy who was all in is still in the tournament because he wins with Ace high! Jeeze, that is a pain in the ass.

#2 The guy sitting beside you can not shut up! He has to tell you about his bad beat about the hand he played in 1985 or the time he won $347897 because he was on fire.

#3 There is a sucker at the table who is just giving his money away. He just outright sucks. He just lost $30 the hand before because he thought his pair of 2s would. Well you got him right where you want him. You got pocket aces and you are betting the crap out of them. But wait, he hits his straight with his 2-5! You just lost $40 to him and now he is just going to lose it to other players! ARG THAT SUCKS!

FrankBoard
03-08-2005, 12:29 AM
OK list your pet peeves!

#1 When an idiot bluffs at a pot when there is an all in at a tournament. Your pair of 3's coulda won but the guy who was all in is still in the tournament because he wins with Ace high! Jeeze, that is a pain in the ass.

#2 The guy sitting beside you can not shut up! He has to tell you about his bad beat about the hand he played in 1985 or the time he won $347897 because he was on fire.

#3 There is a sucker at the table who is just giving his money away. He just outright sucks. He just lost $30 the hand before because he thought his pair of 2s would. Well you got him right where you want him. You got pocket aces and you are betting the crap out of them. But wait, he hits his straight with his 2-5! You just lost $40 to him and now he is just going to lose it to other players! ARG THAT SUCKS!

regarding:

#1....
would you really be calling anything with a pair of 3's?...if he bets and you fold, he wins with Ace high, that's a good bet on his part....

#2...
folks is gonna talk, you just have to tune them out....

#3....
THAT SUCKS!

card4
03-08-2005, 01:49 AM
I think the first one is a major pet peeve of all good tournament players, pros and amatuers alike. It really hurts when the short stack you could have busted catches some cards and ends up being the one to bust you out of the tournament later.

As far a table talk goes, I don't really pay much attention to it. On the internet, its really easy to just not look at the chat box. Some sites even allow you to get rid of it or minimize so you dont have to see it. There are players out there who like to rile opponents up and mess with their heads to put people off their game. I recently came across some poker strategy guides which actually recommended being rude on purpose, especially with online chat. I personally don't talk while playing and don't like it as a strategy tool but I wont begrude anyone else for doing it. In the right situations it can be very effective.

Your third peeve is one I'm sure a lot of players have. I use to hate seeing a guy make the most ridiculous plays and end up winning over and over again. I've since learned to deal with that frustration. I guess its good for bad players to have those lucky days because it keeps them comming back and that means more profits for you. It bad players never got lucky and won, they'd give up but having a really lucky run of cards where lets say you double or triple your buy in on a single session will keep a fish comming back for more to try and catch another rush. Sooner or later (usually sooner), the bad player's cards come back down to earth and they end up not only losing all that they won, but plenty of their own cash too. The really nice thing is that most bad players dont keep track of wins and losses and tend to overestimate their actual earnings. The night they got lucky and won $100 turns into the night they made $300 while the night they lost $200 turns into an unlucky day where I lost a few bucks but I'm still way ahead in the long run.

drewjax
03-10-2005, 12:07 PM
#1 gets my goat as well. Happened a few weeks ago at my weekly NL home game tourney. Down to 8 players, I raise w/ ATs, get a call by a loose player, and a reraise allin, by the short stack. I call and the other guy(kid) does some posturing "I'm thinking about going allin", but calls. Flop is Kxx rainbow, I check and he goes allin. I fold and he turns over QJs!! Not a terrible hand, and he got me out, but he bluffed at the side pot that had $0 in it! The allin had AK and won the main pot. People can play any way they want but that is really stupid if you ask me.

kansaspoker
03-11-2005, 02:11 AM
[QUOTE=FrankBoard]regarding:

#1....
would you really be calling anything with a pair of 3's?...if he bets and you fold, he wins with Ace high, that's a good bet on his part....

Its really not a good bet on his part. he is bluffing at a dry side pot, meaning there is no money in it. He benefits more from checking it down eliminating the player that is all in.

boburke
03-13-2005, 06:06 AM
1. Idiots who fail to realize two overcards like jq etc are worthless after a large reraise, usually when I go all in to steal blinds with a low pp.

sigbust
03-15-2005, 07:43 PM
i hate it when ppl play out of turn, ie. folding and or betting...some ppl ive played with have done it on purpose...also ppl who you keep having to remind to put their blinds up and actually act, once in a while it's ok to remind them but after awhile if it's the same person it starts to become a pain.

also with player's acting out of turn, i know a regular weekly game i play in, we set the rules if you fold out of turn you a value amount equal to the big blind and have to muck your hand and if you bet out of turn you loose your bet and have to muck your hand too...you also get a freebie if you fold out of turn before you are penalized the next time you do it....it makes the game run smoother and alot funnier when someone screws up twice...=)

FrankBoard
03-16-2005, 09:03 PM
[QUOTE=FrankBoard]regarding:

#1....

Its really not a good bet on his part. he is bluffing at a dry side pot, meaning there is no money in it. He benefits more from checking it down eliminating the player that is all in.

yea, i understand the dry side pot, but if you are checking, most folks will try and eliminate whoever else from the "all in" call also, just for the sake of not getting involved in a hand where someone hits something...

granted, i just usually check my way all the way thru, unless i have some monster hand, then i bet...

good post,
f

zerOT
03-17-2005, 01:32 PM
I get pissed at any time a somewhat solid player loses a pot to a fishy player and then goes on to try to tell them that they made a bad call, try to explain to them why they did, and tell them they are bad players. What do you want them to do. Make the right call? Play better? Come on now...