PDA

View Full Version : Difference between learning and being told what to do

cayden9598
02-05-2007, 05:37 AM
Before I begin, this is posted here because it is mainly applicable to the posts one sees in the Beginners Forum.

OK, I have been thinking about this for some time now. This first came to my attention in someone's blog here; I think it was Lukie's. It was a discussion on why you don't see the top notch players posting much in forums because they either know everything or want to figure out ideas for themselves. It's something along those lines, anyways here it goes, this could be somewhat controversial due to recent events however I think this is an important concept:

bryant9967
02-06-2007, 03:59 AM
I am a beginning player myself and I agree with you in that we (us beginners) are better off in the long run learning concepts for ourselves and it will make us better players.

However, for me anyway, I study some of my hands and I genuinely don't know if it was the right play or not and whether I should have folded or not/raised or not/been in the hand at all. This is why I post my hands so that I can be guided by people like you and the other more experienced players into making the right decisions. I don't want to be another fish losing all my money due to bad plays when I can get some help/guidance from better players. Oh by the way I some time take help from Online Poker Calculators from Poker Pro labs, I recently found on internet, while playing online poker. I like your post and will be interested to see what some of the other new players think and how the "veteran" players feel about helping new members with what are widely seen as "basic" decisons/concepts.

like2relax
05-22-2007, 02:14 AM
I agree with that. one thing i definately learned is that just don't let ur opponent catch. That's why aggressive players are rewarded. Because they make big bets forcing their opponents to fold. And ofcourse the biggest bet you ever need to make is "betting the pot". I experimented online a few times, just be continouosly betting the pot, about 80% of the time the opponent folded, and when he/she did call, he had a set! so i guess the point is, just be aggressive and dont get scared, at the same time, don't drink! u will lose everything!! ;)

peyton999
06-19-2007, 04:23 PM
One thing i definately learned is that just don't let ur opponent catch. That's why aggressive players are rewarded.