PDA

View Full Version : Aggression versus profit

cayden9598
12-19-2006, 06:46 PM
for about the last month, I致e been playing much more aggressively in both ring and SNG games with good results.

"aggression" meaning, if I知 going to play a hand, I generally:

- raise preflop 3 - 6 X BB (depending on position, table, players, etc)
- if I miss the flop, hit 2nd or low pair, or have a str/flush draw, AND I知 first in or it's checked around to me, I bet the pot
- rarely limp in, or check the flop

the result has been:

- finding myself with more chips in an SNG when it gets down to 3 or 4 (even with bad cards - e.g. % flops seen < 10%)
- not having a showdown in an SNG until it's down to 3 or 4 (the showdown that knocked me out FTR II in 4th place was the only showdown I saw)
- winning many more hands on the flop and turn
- generally, if it's the kind of flop that looks "missed" by most people that would call my preflop raise, betting first on the flop gets me the pot probably 5 out of 7 times. if they do bet, it's usually a call, and a little more aggression on the turn will frequently fold them
- I知 getting outdrawn a lot less
- putting people on the defensive right away, which can get me a free turn or river card to improve my hand

overall, I致e been very happy with the results. I知 winning in ring games, which is definitely an improvement.

so my question: in the "one long session" of poker that I play, am I decreasing my overall profits by being aggressive and not letting more hands go to showdown?

now obviously, if I flop a monster, I slow it down a bit to build the pot. but if I知 working with top pair/strong kicker, and I see a draw on the board, I work hard to shut the hand down before I get outdrawn.

thoughts?

bryant9967
12-20-2006, 04:56 PM
Sounds like you've learned how to play winning poker.

So here's the rub. Most Hold'em hands miss the flop horribly, or catch a little something scary. By raising pre-flop you often get heads-up as the aggressor. Hence, you have the best chance of taking down an unloved pot. Use a good Calculator like Poker Pro 2006 to predict and analysis.

like2relax
05-22-2007, 03:26 AM
Question, what do you do if you bet the pot on the flop, but your opponent calls. Do you continue on the turn? river?

I mean you are basically betting at an exponential rate!