PDA

View Full Version : subject: do you bet this river ?

expertofpoke
11-19-2005, 02:16 AM
have 33....(.set of 3's)

Flop: 3 T 9 pot=$9 (rainbow flop)
I'm on the button

CO bets $10
I call

Turn: 6
Co bets $15
I raise to $45
Co calls

River: 7
Co checks

Do you bet here ? I hate those 4 card to straight boards. Any 8 gives him a straight. No flush possible on this board, though.

How do you think I played it ?

BTW, I won again tonight. About $150

Bigtourneys
11-19-2005, 03:33 AM
don't be scared in this situation. Go all in. If he beats you, he's gonna have to show

zerOT
11-19-2005, 03:39 AM
Call me a wuss, but I would check. The way I've been running I would just want the hand to be over with.

Also what happened preflop? Would he betting the way he had with hands that would contain an 8? Pocket 8's, A8, K8? Hands such as pocket 6's, 7's(probably not), 9's, or 10's be reasonable? Did you have any read on his play, was he possibly trying to steal the blinds before the button got the chance?

I'm not so great at playing myself, so not a whole lot of insight you would gain from recieving criticism from me. I can understand your play though. I may have raised on the flop, mainly because I enjoy fast playing myself. Guess it depends on how your image was perceived by the rest of the table.

Sorry for the lack of organization in the post, but yea.. I'm a little tired. NH anyway though.

card4
11-20-2005, 02:56 AM
Id really need a little more information to make a good choice. In most spots I'm making a value bet here if I think my hand is best.

Some key factors are how much of your stack was already in the pot. If you only hand $30 or less left then all in isn't a bad move. If you've got $200 and he bets you all in then you've got something to think about.

As ZerOT mentioned, the preflop action and the type of player you were up against is key. I don't think you should fear an 8 here but a bigger set is certainly a possibility. If this guy is a decent player then you have to put him on two pair at least to call your big raise but I'd be weary of a set of 9s or 10s.

Knowing when do bet a strong hand that isn't the nuts and when to fold a strong hand when you are beat is one of the hardest things to do but when your decisions get better, this is where you can really improve your win rate. The other factors will get you modest wins and minimized loses but when you can make the most of hands like this, that is when you can really start making profit in NL.

I had to lay down AA twice tonight after flushes hit on the board. I hate folding this hand but until you go all in preflop with it, there is always the risk of running into bad boards. Those folds saved me a huge chunk this evening. You just have to use your judgement and hope for the best.

Gambling Bee
11-24-2005, 02:21 PM
if you make a bet and he reraises, you will have to lay down the hand.........

I'd check it down and take what you have .... $119 is a tasty pot :)

justbrewit
12-19-2005, 12:27 AM
To me, it depends largely on what kind of player your oppoenent is and what he thinks of you. What hands do you think your oppenent might have? More importantly, what hands do you think he may call or raise with if you bet.

At the end of the day, maybe you are beat and maybe you are not. I don't think that most people will call you unless you are beat. You may get a raise on a bluff (what kind of opponent do you have?), but it sounds like you don't want to call that raise.

Just check in this situation.

I don't think you are going to get a call from a hand that will can beat anyway.

kansaspoker
12-24-2005, 09:41 AM
100% check.

Never bet on the river if the only hand that can call is one that is going to beat you.

What if you bet and he goess all in? Mostly likely he has a high pocket pair or AK, but what hand does he have that is likey to call?

I would say check, but I play a more of an ABC approach.

card4
12-28-2005, 12:46 AM
The safe play is to check it back down. If you dont have a good read on this guy then go ahead and just flip over your cards. It takes a really good player to bluff raise you here on the end if you bet and a really bad player to call you with a worse hand then you have.

Still, if he does have two pair then you miss a big opportunity to possibly bust this guy and that is how you make your money in NL.

DawgNutz
01-06-2006, 04:15 AM
Why no raise on the flop?

card4
02-01-2006, 03:12 AM
I like the check on the flop. Granted you have two connected cards so if an opponent got in cheap with QJ or 78 you are letting them draw to their strait cheap. Still, if you raise a lot on the flop then you are probably going to only win $19 with your set. The only way of getting called is if you raised the minimum which is just a bad move. By checking, you have a change of getting another $15-$20 bet from your opponent and in the best situation getting your check raise called.

DawgNutz
02-01-2006, 06:58 AM
We actually don't have enough info to begin with (stakes, number of players, is Hero SB/BB, who did what PF, etc.).

I looked down and saw he was HU so I guessed he was BB and it's NL or PL (still can't figure how pot is $9). CO bets out. I raise to find out where I am. He re-raises I fold. He's probably got a bigger set. I don't figure a good player is pushing with a draw. (Again, we don't know the players so I gave the Villain credit.)

He folds, I don't have to worry about my small set getting beat when he hits a bigger set or a straight.

I understand your thinking and I'm not saying you're wrong. I just disagree. I like aggression and, if I can, taking the pot down early when I'm not sure I'm dominating. Too bad we'll never know "the rest of the story."

peyton999
06-19-2007, 05:17 PM
I'm not so great at playing myself.. I think the only way of getting called is if you raised the minimum which is just a bad move.