PDA

View Full Version : I entered a multi tournament and....

Return2005
09-20-2005, 07:45 PM
I entered a multi tournament last night. It was only a cheap FPP round 1 satellite to the EPT. I wanted some Multi action and this was available.

Im sure you have all seen calling stations, but this guy took the cake.

15 hands in I had A-10 os in EP. I limp in with a lot of others. Flop comes K2A (2 clubs, i don't have one). I wanted to test the field out on a flush draw and bet out 270 into 240 family pot. I get a call by someone who i suspect a callng station (probably a draw).. a 10 of clubs comes on the turn, which improves my hand.. but is a scare card as it can complete a JQ or 2 club hand. a check to me and i bet out 275 to see if he has a draw or not. If he did he probalby would call.. If he indeed made a straight or flush i would figure him for a raise. Just a call. 8 of spades on the river and he bet out 60. (Stops me from making a wager) and he had 93 suited clubs and a flush. He started the hand in EP. Im going somewhere with the percentages. On the flop (when the betting started) he was 38%. I was 62%.

About 6 or 7 hands later this player has been in virtually every hand. (im using PokerOffice) and calling these bets constinantly. This is how the hand played.

I have A7os. I call UTG with this table being passive as it is for raises. However there were raises. 2 callers after me and the button raises it 4x the BB and called by 4 people including a calling station. The calling station ended up having 59 of diamonds. Vs. the two hands it ended up being against having AKos and TJs. This is 25% and if you add in 2 hands you didn't see, that percentage is lower (pot odds anyone?). Well the flop came 9Q5 rainbow, and as you can see this hand got lucky and to make matters worse the open ended straight draw and the lovely AK (which some people couldn't lay down) payed him off an eventual full house.

3 hands or so go by and I get JJ and move all my chips and and this same calling station calls me with Q2s. Right off the bat i am 69% with his brain dead call. Went to 87% with a 994 flop, but the queen on the turn took me out.

This player had the following stats for the 30 hand session
Seen the flop over 80% of the time.
Went to the turn from the flop over 80% of the time
made 0 raises pre-flop

That is a classic calling station.

Now with that said, the chances of him having his day is low.

I put those percentages out there for a reason. To win three of these in a row like this was 38%, (we'll say 15%) and 31%. Timesing them together he had a 56 in 1 shot of doing this. What was his chances of losing all 3? 36% of 1 in 1.75. This player must be dead money. After he defeated me the first time, i took Mike Caro's advice and praised great play (as in great) for bad play. It apparantly keeps players playing bad and sometimes even worse... Didn't know that, but Mike is a psychology master mind in poker. I'll listen to him. When the tourney was over I had some stuff to say (read earlier post on my emotions being simliar to phil hellmuth). Well..I won't say what i said, but it wasn't nice, but nothing vulgar, moderatly offensive or anything that the pokersite would find trouble mantic (im good that way).

Well, these players can exist. But how do you win these MTT? I know how. I have written a supreme article on winning multi's at a higher percentage with one simple strategy mixed in with solid poker. However I need to see some posts. CARD mentioned earlier about seeing them, well I want to continue sending articles on a weekly basis along with football picks weekly.

Lets get a few other people here posting. When that happens, I'll post an absolute gold mine of an article next week or as soon as a lot of people post on here on winning these big multi tournaments and increasing your return on investment so much higher by following these easy steps.

To make this site great, we need traffic and people posting. The more people post, the better off it can be over the next few months in attracting new people!

Gambling Bee
09-22-2005, 01:49 PM
my first post....

to be honest, i love calling stations, because you know you'll have them beat most of the time..... (we only remember the Bad Beats though)

i wouldn't have played either of the 1st two marginal hands in EP as i wouldn't know where i was unless i hit Trips or 2 Pair on the flop...

card4
09-30-2005, 04:09 AM
First of all, I just want to say thank you for posting a great comprehensive post. By providing a lot of details about the tournament, it allows others to add their comments to specifics which isn't easy to do if you just post something like, "I played in a MTT and this calling station got lucky."

On the first hand where this guy picks up a flush draw in the flop his call doesn't seem too bad. The pot odds weren't there for such a big call but the implied odds were and if this guy is going for a high finish then risking chips on big draws is part of that strategy. If both the ace and king were clubs then he is probably confident that if he makes his flush it will be good since most players don't play Qx suited or lower. Once he makes the flush on the turn I can also see him not immediately reraising. If he puts you on a strait, he knows a raise might scare you off but check raising on the river might get some money out of you. Also, if he thinks you may have a higher flush, just calling saves money. I don't like playing A10 in this spot and I think you really should have taken the free care on the turn to try and make your full house. The 10 did give you a great hand with aces up but you are way behind AK, QJ, or any two clubs which this guy happened to have. He played junk and got lucky but I think you maybe could have gotten away from this hand losing less.

In the second hand, playing A7 off UTG is a recipe for disaster. Once the big blind raises it up then you need to dump this hand. An extra 3 bets is a sure sign that you are way behind. Again, the calling station got lucky playing a light hand but if someone is going to get married to AK and payoff when they miss the flop then that person is bound to lose money any way. I think the calling station (in addition to getting lucky) picked up on the play of some other people at the table and was able to take advantage of this when he hit the flop.

On the last hand Q2s losing to JJ is a bad beat for sure. I like your play here especially if you were a short stack. I suspect if this guy won a few pots up until that point that he had a chip advantage so that might be why he called your all in. Some times you just get on a roll when the cards seem to be falling your way so you make a call with a weak hand like Q2s hoping to get lucky and knowing that you won't be crippled if you lose. If this guy had an average stack or the same size stack as you though then this is just a bad play.

80% seeing the flop is crazy in a tournament. This guy is destined to either keep getting lucky and win it all or more than likely build a big stack and then blow it all and finish out of the money with this loose play.

Calling stations, maniacs, and lucky SOBs ( you know who you are :) ) are a part of big tournaments. Solid agressive play is a good strategy but you really have to change gears. Timing is so important in a tournament. That and you flat out have to get lucky. To win you have to win the races where is pair vs overcards and you have to avoid any major bad beats that cripple your stack.

Thank you again for sharing some of the hands from your tournament. The biggest payout I've won in a MTT was only a few hundred dollars so I am by no means a super successful tournament player. I'm sure there are a lot of other people here who have differing opinions and tips and I'd love to hear them.

I entered a multi tournament last night. It was only a cheap FPP round 1 satellite to the EPT. I wanted some Multi action and this was available.

Im sure you have all seen calling stations, but this guy took the cake.

15 hands in I had A-10 os in EP. I limp in with a lot of others. Flop comes K2A (2 clubs, i don't have one). I wanted to test the field out on a flush draw and bet out 270 into 240 family pot. I get a call by someone who i suspect a callng station (probably a draw).. a 10 of clubs comes on the turn, which improves my hand.. but is a scare card as it can complete a JQ or 2 club hand. a check to me and i bet out 275 to see if he has a draw or not. If he did he probalby would call.. If he indeed made a straight or flush i would figure him for a raise. Just a call. 8 of spades on the river and he bet out 60. (Stops me from making a wager) and he had 93 suited clubs and a flush. He started the hand in EP. Im going somewhere with the percentages. On the flop (when the betting started) he was 38%. I was 62%.

About 6 or 7 hands later this player has been in virtually every hand. (im using PokerOffice) and calling these bets constinantly. This is how the hand played.

I have A7os. I call UTG with this table being passive as it is for raises. However there were raises. 2 callers after me and the button raises it 4x the BB and called by 4 people including a calling station. The calling station ended up having 59 of diamonds. Vs. the two hands it ended up being against having AKos and TJs. This is 25% and if you add in 2 hands you didn't see, that percentage is lower (pot odds anyone?). Well the flop came 9Q5 rainbow, and as you can see this hand got lucky and to make matters worse the open ended straight draw and the lovely AK (which some people couldn't lay down) payed him off an eventual full house.

3 hands or so go by and I get JJ and move all my chips and and this same calling station calls me with Q2s. Right off the bat i am 69% with his brain dead call. Went to 87% with a 994 flop, but the queen on the turn took me out.

This player had the following stats for the 30 hand session
Seen the flop over 80% of the time.
Went to the turn from the flop over 80% of the time
made 0 raises pre-flop

That is a classic calling station.

Now with that said, the chances of him having his day is low.

I put those percentages out there for a reason. To win three of these in a row like this was 38%, (we'll say 15%) and 31%. Timesing them together he had a 56 in 1 shot of doing this. What was his chances of losing all 3? 36% of 1 in 1.75. This player must be dead money. After he defeated me the first time, i took Mike Caro's advice and praised great play (as in great) for bad play. It apparantly keeps players playing bad and sometimes even worse... Didn't know that, but Mike is a psychology master mind in poker. I'll listen to him. When the tourney was over I had some stuff to say (read earlier post on my emotions being simliar to phil hellmuth). Well..I won't say what i said, but it wasn't nice, but nothing vulgar, moderatly offensive or anything that the pokersite would find trouble mantic (im good that way).

Well, these players can exist. But how do you win these MTT? I know how. I have written a supreme article on winning multi's at a higher percentage with one simple strategy mixed in with solid poker. However I need to see some posts. CARD mentioned earlier about seeing them, well I want to continue sending articles on a weekly basis along with football picks weekly.

Lets get a few other people here posting. When that happens, I'll post an absolute gold mine of an article next week or as soon as a lot of people post on here on winning these big multi tournaments and increasing your return on investment so much higher by following these easy steps.

To make this site great, we need traffic and people posting. The more people post, the better off it can be over the next few months in attracting new people!

card4
09-30-2005, 04:10 AM
Welcome to the board Gambling Bee.

It is always great to see new members with fresh ideas.

my first post....

to be honest, i love calling stations, because you know you'll have them beat most of the time..... (we only remember the Bad Beats though)

i wouldn't have played either of the 1st two marginal hands in EP as i wouldn't know where i was unless i hit Trips or 2 Pair on the flop...