PDA

View Full Version : Poker Bots

jenfrey80
09-18-2005, 02:46 AM
I play alot of internet poker and have been before its popularity skyrocketed. In the beginning I played against real players and played the game the right way. Now when you play most of the time you are playing against a poker bot. A poker bot is software that can see all the players cards and calculates odds of winning and losing hands, which in turn causes players like me to lose my money. Have you ever sat at atable and watched someone make there moves faster than lightning or have you tried talking to player and get no response repeatedley? If so that is usually a poker bot. I think sites should be able to detect this software and put an end to this. The only site I know that does not allow poker bots is Party Poker.

card4
09-19-2005, 03:24 AM
OK, this is just kinda silly. Do poker bots exists? Yes. Can they play poker well? Yes. Does every online poker room besides party poker just let bots operate at will? NO.

Honestly I have yet to see any of the major sites say that they use poker bots or allow poker bots to be used in their game rooms. In fact, most sites make it very clear that poker bots violate their rules. Players who are guilty of using any software that plays your hand for you automatically are removed from the site and in some cases have their bankroll withheld.

As far as someone acting fast, a lot of the difference has to do with internet connection and also if a player is using the automated buttons to bet, fold, raise, call, etc. Some players talk and some don't. I know of many players who just turn chat off completely so not talking isn't a sign of being a robot either.

Don't let the fear of bots scare you away from online poker. If you think something is fishy report it and move to another table but just about all the time you are playing with other honest folks who just want to play poker.

zerOT
09-19-2005, 03:51 AM
Don't worry they aren't botting the tiny limit tables that we most likely populate... have not ever heard of a NL bot either.

Rarely will you run into a bot. I have not heard of any bots that actually play that well, also.. they can not see your hand. That's just stupid. If people could program a bot to see people's hands, they would use that piece of the programming themselves. They would play way more efficiently than any bot could.

DawgNutz
09-19-2005, 04:33 PM
My bot can beat your bot! :D

card4
09-19-2005, 09:50 PM
My bot can beat your bot! :D

lol

In all seriousness though, there have been a few cases where colleges faced off against each other with poker bots to see which program was the most effective. Poker bots aren't dominating online poker and I doubt you will ever find one at a table that you are at. While no pokerbot has been able to beat any of the top pros in high stakes limit poker and especially PL and NL, there are bots out there that could do quite well at the small limits of $5/$10 and down. This might not seem very profitable but if a person could use a bot to play a few tables at once you could concievably make $50 an hour and there wouldn't really be a limit to the hours you could play.

As I said earlier though, every major site that I've played on has detection methods for finding bots and banning people that use them. Bots are cracked down on just as cheaters so rest assured the sites are looking out for you. Its common fact that most people want to play with other people, not bots so if a site got known for letting bots play, player participation would drop off and thus kill there profits if no one is adding to the rake. Poker rooms have too much at stake and make too much money to allow something like pokerbots to ruin the online game.

On a related note, the AI in Daniel Negranue's new game stacked is supposed to be from one of the most advanced poker bot projects out there. I am really interested to see how the game plays. Every poker video game I've seen so far has been a waste of time and money. There are programs like Wilson turbo that are useful for sure but this new game Stacked looks like it combines the best of both worlds with a great design that is entertaining but also an AI that is smart enough to help you improve your game.

DawgNutz
09-20-2005, 02:05 AM
I don't play online. At the insistence of a cardroom buddy who was participating, when online play started a few years ago, I tried it. Didn't like it.

And, because I'm skeptical/suspicious by nature, I began imagining scenarios whereby a person or persons could cheat online. This was sparked by the fact that you can't see your opponent(s), and computers are involved. I know a tad more than the average bear about computers and programs. All this, coupled with my memory of the MIT students who made Vegas their private ATM for a few years, caused me to imagine the following:

A group of bright young men, probably college students, all poker and computer savvy, with simultaneous access to the internet in a common setting (dorm room, frat house) decide to play the same table(s) at the same time. How card-smart do you have to be if you know what half (or more) of the table's hole cards are?

In addition, another of these entrepreneurs has his trusty laptop fired up and loaded with every odds/EV/variance, etc., chart/graph known to man. Anything one of the players can't remember, he's got right in front of him, ready to be relayed.

So, it's not the bots that would concern me. Those are easily detected by the gambling site's server(s)/software. It's all the other things, any number of which I can't/haven't begun to think about.

I'm not a conspiracy theory fan or nut. Like I said, I tend to be skeptical/inquisitive/wary - whatever you want to call it. I learned a long, long time ago, "Sure, I trust you, but I make it a habit to cut the deck."

;)

card4
10-09-2005, 03:08 AM
Here is a good article about the poker robot world championship powered by poker academy that should be good for a "I told you so" from all the poker conspiracy theorist who think robots are taking over online poker.

I play alot of internet poker and have been before its popularity skyrocketed. In the beginning I played against real players and played the game the right way. Now when you play most of the time you are playing against a poker bot. A poker bot is software that can see all the players cards and calculates odds of winning and losing hands, which in turn causes players like me to lose my money. Have you ever sat at atable and watched someone make there moves faster than lightning or have you tried talking to player and get no response repeatedley? If so that is usually a poker bot. I think sites should be able to detect this software and put an end to this. The only site I know that does not allow poker bots is Party Poker.

bullzz
10-09-2007, 08:54 PM
check this site for

bullzz
10-10-2007, 04:20 PM
why somebody is deleting my link?