PDA

View Full Version : Nice bluff read

Return2005
08-07-2005, 06:58 PM
Playing a home game i had a pair of fives, not too much but this hand was all mine. In a three player game left in the tourney with him on the button i called his raise with a 5/8 suited for two reasons. One because he is an aggressive player and two because he threw his chips in with a flare and emphasis before the flop i felt he didn't have much. A five came up on the flop with a couple other low cards. It was check/check and i haven't got a read on him yet. On the turn came another blank card that i had no idea what it was, but it was a blank. He came out and bet a good amount and its back to reading again and i stared him down for a while and i sensed he didn't have anything. Then i seen him quickly look back at his hand for a bit as i was playing with my chips. At this i felt he was bluffing. I didn't want him to know i caught him there but i made up my decision i was going to call the bet and called 30 seconds later. The river paired up with the turn and he fired another bet out there. Because of that read i got on the turn (especially) i knew he probably didn't have it and that card couldnt' have changed anything. I took about 20 seconds or so to call the bet and i did and he showed me 3/6 (neither paired the board). I was right about him bluffing right off the bat and i was right about him bluffing on the turn. I will tell you something it is something else when you can call someone with a bluff and show just a pair of fives. This must upset anyone trying to bluff and to see that they called because of an obvoius read. I told him afterwards that i noticed a bit that i felt i had the best hand and i didn't want to throw it away.

card4
08-08-2005, 04:45 AM
Excellent read. Plays like this are ones where you feel like you are really earning your money. Anyone can win a pot flopping a set of aces but it takes a great player to know when they have the best of it and when they are beat.

Was there any particular physical tell that you picked up on or was it just an overall feeling that he was weak and trying to bluff you?

Return2005
08-08-2005, 10:25 PM
his raise preflop was a sign that he was taking position of the button and trying to represent a good hand or even better for him get everyone to fold. And it was one read i got on him and when i noticed that i felt that not only did he not have a pair, he probably didn't even have a high card. When someone is putting someone to the decision and they look back at their cards and stay quite. I think i should have re-raised all-in on the turn to stop him from drawing a card and that was the only thing i think i made a mistake and with the river pairing to the turn, i knew i had the best hand with just fives.

rinky9888
04-29-2009, 05:14 AM
Bluffing is the act of betting as if you have a better hand than you really do. Poker players bluff in order to get their opponents to fold, and when this strategy is used at the right time and in the right circumstances it can be very effective. Unfortunately most amateur players bluff far too often, leading to their bluffs being called and the loss of money.