PDA

View Full Version : Slowplaying AA in 1st position

Return2005
08-05-2005, 07:34 PM
Basicly what i think a good strategy might be is to call/raise AA in 1st position in a large table (especially an agressive table with lots of raising going on).

What i did as an excersise was took two aces out of my deck and then dealt out 8 other hands. What I wanted to see is what would have happened (most likely) with 50/100 blinds if i were to flat call 100, raise to 300 or raise to 1000. What i found in only ten simulated situations is what i expected.

When i called out of ten hands i posted a record of 7-3 including 2 big losses, one loss that should have been folded if bets got big with flush/straight draw from the flop which hit on the turn and one situation where i could have taken out two opponents with them hitting my monsters with my full house aces over.

Record 7-3 +11000 - +17000

Small Raise: By raising a little bit I managed a record a bit better only losing in two situations and one situation would depend on if a QJ off suit would have called the raise in the small blind with chips. I say it was 50% yes and no, so i did a math calculation to work with it.

Record 8-2 +7000 - +10000

Big Raise: Eight times i collected blinds worth 150 and two other times KK ran into it and of course we all know what that means.

Record 10-0 +6500

What this means is this.
1) I only did ten hands and that is not enough to get any appropriate data, however i feel that the results are where they should be in the range.

2) This means that to play the call/raise is a good move when you have chips and are in control vs. the table. If you are the aggressive player who likes to win bigger pots when you are in good situation then this play is for you.

3) If you like to take small chances and win some good pots and your chip count is in an average count or above average then betting a small raise is smarter as you will win more times and a little less percentage of keep from the wins you recieve total.

4) If you are a tight playerlower in chips or below average then betting big is probably the way to go

I think doing excerces like this helps you play your hands a lot better for any poker fanatic like myself. By call/raising you can extract more from the pot by watching some small raises get called and maybe re-raise which can commit them more to the raises you would give them and more action therefore is taken. Yes if no one raises you get involved in a family pot and with a table of nine or ten players you could see up to six or seven opponents facing you and there is a situation you have to be extremly cautious with playing this way.

Here are some odds that you have to know when you are holding AA on the flop:
26% vs. Two Pair
9% vs. three/kind
92% vs. lower pocket pair
82% vs. Top pair
91% vs. Top pair, ace kicker
68% vs. Flush Draw with you having that suit
64% vs. Flush Draw/you not having that suit
50% vs. Flush Draw/Pair
52% vs. flush draw + gutshot
47% vs. open ended str8/flush draw
38% vs. open ended str8/flush draw + pair
66% vs. open ended str8/
56% vs. Open ended/pair
80% vs. Gutshot
97% vs. high card
99.7% vs. high card ace

card4
08-06-2005, 03:42 AM
You definitely have to know your table. If there is a lot of reraising from agressive players trying to get in the last word then raise and come back over the top again when they reraise. This get more money in the the pot while you have the best of it.

In a tournament, I don't think I'm slowplaying AA under the gun unless its the final table short handed. Why give the blind a chance to make trips or two pair playing rags?

I don't know for sure how different the results would be running this through a simulation of 1000 hands using wilson software or something. I just know that as strong as AA is, against 9 other random hands it will not win 70% of the time.

Its important to remember that every time you make a deceptive play like slowplaying AA up front, you give yourself a chance to win a bigger pot but you also give up a lot. Putting out misinformation is going to cause the other players to make decisions based on that misinformation. It makes it harder to make the right choice after the flop since your opponents have been decieved. If they bet big is it because they hit the flop with a set or two pair or are they responding to your weakness? This isn't a bad play to make occasionally but pick your spots carefully and don't fall into the trap of always slowplaying a big hand because eventually better players will pick up on that just as easily as they would if you only bet your good hands.

Lancer
08-06-2005, 04:06 AM
Slowplaying Aces from any position isn't a tactic I use. I've watched people do it a lot. On a few occasions they win, mostly when they limp in one of the blinds after only one or two others have limped in, or call a small raise in the blinds. Other times I usually see them lose. It's always a source of great amusement to me to see a slowplayer get his Aces cracked by 92 who limped in the BB and made 2P on the flop.

Another thing I often see is the guy who slowplays Aces being unable to lay them down even when it seems certain he's been beat.

FergyFan315
08-06-2005, 07:55 PM
i 100% DISAGGREE with this move. first of all, ur UTG which i read a chris ferguson tip and he says use the pump it or dump it on the UTG, and secondly, with A-A the last thing u want is ur opponent to outdraw u. but u should not bet them too big, for instances going all-in.

card4
08-08-2005, 03:37 AM
I raise at least 4 times the big blind almost always with these hands from any position at a full table. Occasionally I will raise 5-6 times if I think a smaller raise will get too many callers. If you are shortstacked then you want to push all in whenever you get a big pocket pair. Not only do you not want to let someone outdraw you cheaply, but as Lancer commented, most people can not lay down a big pair even when it is obvious they are beat.

I played in a $10+$1 MTT the other night and saw two players get cute with big hands early, just limping in. One guy held AA and the other QQ. The BB tripled up knocking out both of them holding K4s in hearts. The flop came three small hearts and the BB checked. Guy with AA makes a small bet and gets raised big by the player holding QQ. BB calls this raises and calls again when AA reraised all in and. This was some what of a risky play since against two players you'd figure one of them had the nut flush to be betting so strong. Surprisingly, neither player with the big pair even had a heart for a big flush draw.