PDA

View Full Version : The Dangers of a Good Run (and a Thick Head)

Lancer
07-28-2005, 01:15 PM
Last night I was having a really good run of hands at a couple of micro-stakes NL Holdem tables. I'd seen about an hour of almost non stop good hands. AK & AQ had held up repeatedly. Queens were good to me more than once. My nines made a set, my jacks made a set. I hit straights on the turn twice. It was really fun. It seemed like I couldn't lose.

Then this hand came:

PokerStars Game #2204878431: Hold'em No Limit ($0.10/$0.25) - 2005/07/28 - 00:46:40 (ET)
Table 'Danae' Seat #5 is the button
Seat 1: Chipdaddddy ($8.40 in chips)
Seat 2: ruckycharms ($55.85 in chips)
Seat 3: mtc722 ($10.35 in chips)
Seat 4: mvpgbp4 ($15.10 in chips)
Seat 5: wcrow2000 ($34.05 in chips)
Seat 6: tink79 ($5 in chips)
Seat 7: Disillusiond ($39.55 in chips)
Seat 8: demian68 ($23.10 in chips)
Seat 9: ccard28 ($9.60 in chips)
tink79: posts small blind $0.10
Disillusiond: posts big blind $0.25
*** HOLE CARDS ***

Dealt to Disillusiond :kd: :2c: <-------- Me

demian68: folds
ccard28: calls $0.25
Chipdaddddy: folds
ruckycharms: folds
mtc722: calls $0.25
mvpgbp4: folds
wcrow2000: folds
tink79: folds
Disillusiond: checks I get to see the flop free with a hand I'd never play otherwise.

*** FLOP *** :2s: :kc: :ah:

Disillusiond: checks Alright! Two pair! I still got it! Maybe someone with an Ace will bet and then I'll raise.
ccard28: checks
mtc722: bets $0.25 Hmmm. Pretty small bet for top pair.
Disillusiond: raises $0.50 to $0.75 Who cares? I'm on a roll! Take that!
ccard28: folds
mtc722: raises $1.25 to $2 Alarm! Alarm! PT says this guy is tight-passive pre-flop. He's a slowplayer! He could have AA or AK!!
Disillusiond: raises $2 to $4 I don't care! I have two pair and I'm on fire!!
mtc722: raises $6.10 to $10.10 and is all-in (Sirens, klaxons blaring)
Disillusiond: calls $6.10 (Maniacal laughter.)

*** TURN *** :2s: :kc: :ah: :ks: YOU ARE SO TOAST LITTLE MAN!

*** RIVER *** :2s: :kc: :ah: :ks: :9d: PREPARE TO PAY UP!

*** SHOW DOWN ***

Disillusiond: shows :kd: :2c: (a full house, Kings full of Deuces)

mtc722: shows :kh: :as: (a full house, Kings full of Aces) Stunned thick-headed disbelief. The sound of a good run coming to a screeching halt.

mtc722 collected $20 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $21.05 | Rake $1.05
Board [2s Kc Ah Ks 9d]
Seat 1: Chipdaddddy folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: ruckycharms folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: mtc722 showed [Kh As] and won ($20) with a full house, Kings full of Aces
Seat 4: mvpgbp4 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: wcrow2000 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: tink79 (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 7: Disillusiond (big blind) showed [Kd 2c] and lost with a full house, Kings full of Deuces since he was a complete moron
Seat 8: demian68 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: ccard28 folded on the Flop

That was pretty much the end of the run. I also lost with KJ and top pair to a set of Tens who didn't raise pf, and then my AA lost to a guy who called my pf raise with 75 and made 2p on the flop. At that point I realized my attitude was probably going to put me on tilt, so I left up for the night only $24. One of the leaks in my game at this point is to stay focused on what my opponent may have when I have a big hand. I rarely make such bone-headed moves as in the example above, but I do tend to dispense with serious efforts to read my opponent when the flop hits me hard. Ah well, another lesson learned. ;)

adampad
07-28-2005, 02:52 PM
You were going to go bust on this hand no matter what. If you had not raised on the flop the turn card would have given you a boat. No way can you lay this hand down.

Lancer
07-28-2005, 07:00 PM
You were going to go bust on this hand no matter what. If you had not raised on the flop the turn card would have given you a boat. No way can you lay this hand down.

At least then I could say it was my full house that lost and maybe salvage a little pride. But noooo, I have to get in a bidding war with a Rock and my K2 two pair. Sigh. :rolleyes: