PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Jacks in the Small Blind

Lancer
07-23-2005, 09:07 AM
I had a hand come up tonight while playing a NL Holdem low stakes ring game at Poker Stars.

In the small blind I was dealt :jd: :jc:

UTG folded.
UTG+1 raised 4xBB. This guy had the biggest stack at the table and played pretty loose and aggressive. I was 90% sure I had him beat.
UTG+2 reraised to 20xBB. This guy was fairly new to the table, and I had no read on him.
Everyone else folded.

I had planned to raise this hand when it was my turn if no one had raised yet, and probably would have reraised if only one person raised. But the reraise got me thinking. I had no idea what he had or how he played yet. In low stakes, 20xBB is still pretty small compared to my stack at this point, but with the reraise and my poor position, I decided to play it safe and fold my hand.

Would anyone have played this differently?

kansaspoker
07-24-2005, 09:20 AM
I would have folded this hand. Not because of the reraise but because of the early position raiser.

I mean, if he had pocket AA's, KK's, would he really reraise 16 times more the blind? A smooth call or 8x the BB raise would have been smarter here. I am putting him on pocket 10's or some middle pair, or AK, something he is afraid of seeing a flop with. Also, you can smooth call here, but then you are not completing the action and now sandwiched between the two. The UTG might go all in or something. You dont want that.

You seem more knowledgable then the table so I would assume that you are also a better post flop player. Dont get into coin flip races with people that you can outplay and outsmart later.

Just my two cents.

Lancer
07-24-2005, 08:46 PM
Appreciate the reply and the insight. :)

card4
07-25-2005, 02:32 AM
I agree with Kansaspoker and think you played it smart by folding. I've folded jacks before and seen a medium pair take down the pot but overall I think you have to be somewhat cautious with JJ. You really want decent position and hopefully you are the first one raising. Calling a raise and reraise is not a great play. Even if one of these players is raising on a light hand, I have to figure one of the for a big pair or overcards. If its overcards, then it is a coinflip. If they have a bigger pair then you are in big trouble. Either way, I don't want to invest 20 big bets and more after the flop.

peyton999
06-20-2007, 05:38 AM
I would have folded this hand.You seem more knowledgable then the table so I would assume that you are also a better post flop player