PDA

View Full Version : How to cash at sit-n-go's without even trying...

Shylax
07-07-2005, 05:08 PM
The funniest thing happened yesterday…I might make it my new strategy…

Yesterday, while at work @ 6:30 P.M, I decided to play a $10 sit-n-go at Party. I like to play at this time because everyone has left for the day and there’s no distractions for me. It’s a setting where I have good focus for online play.

Anyway, the very first hand I get pocket rockets and I got real good action with them when someone had QQ. I doubled up to 1600 on my first hand and knocked someone out. Then my boss called me into his office. I’m like damn, what could he possibly want at this time? Hell I didn’t even know he was still in the office. So I push the away button fretting about how much I’ll have when I return. So my boss is going over some new project that we’ll be doing and all I can think of is “I’m getting blinded out here. Hurry up man!”. But my boss is meticulous so we spent over an hour talking about specs and deadlines and all this other junk. Once, we reached the hour point in our discussion, I had given up all hope of being alive at the table.

I return to my desk at about 7:50 P.M. The screen saver and lock kicked in so I had to relog into my machine. Once I logged in the screen said “Congratulations! You’ve finished second. You’ve won $30”.

I clicked my stats and 67 hands were played and the blinds were at 100/200.

The only words in the chat box were from the guy who won. It read “gg. You’re a very tight player. You need to loosen up some. You only played a hand when you got AA.”

How is this even remotely possible? I’m still trying to figure out what happened. Easiest money I ever made playing Poker, hahaha.

adampad
07-07-2005, 07:05 PM
You hear quite a few stories like this. Double up a time or two and sit tight. There are some times everyone is out in a heartbeat and other times when it seems like no one will be eliminated before blinds are outragous. Depends on where you play as well. For instance Bodog tournys blinds start at 5-10 and you have 1000, while at party you have 800 and blinds start at 10-15? At Noble blinds go up every 5 minutes or so which makes it very important to get up early.

Shylax
07-07-2005, 07:25 PM
Yeah blinds start at 10-15 and i think we start at 800. Or it could be 1000? All I know is I had a little over 1600 when i hit the away button.

On party it's 10 hands at each blind. 10 at 10/20, 15/30, 20/40, 25/50, 50/100, 75/150, etc. SO the 100/200 blind level must have been the next level had it gone further. I just saw a 100/200on the final screen.

But yeah, man. it was wierd. The more people who got eliminated must mean the more blinds I'd have to see which means the quicker I get blinded right?

Must have been some battles going on. Sorry i missed it.

tiptheboss
07-07-2005, 08:52 PM
Shylax,

Nice one on the second place. You couldn't have asked for more :). People are trying to hard sometimes to gain chips early. Winning that first hand can usually set you up for the next big hand whether it is the following hand or when it is just down to you and another guy. I remember being in a freeroll with 2000 people and accumulated real early and sat tight. I had to go out for dinner and came back and I ended up in 20th. I have no idea how it happened, but sometimes people just get over excited. Keep the stories coming.

Rich

Shylax
07-07-2005, 10:18 PM
Whoa, Tip. 20th out of 2000?

Haha, that's amazing! Yeah, that's crazy.

I guess it's good to be tight agressive early and build a stack then tighten up a little and let people eliminate themselves? I dunno.

Earthslash
07-08-2005, 06:19 AM
While it is good to have a strategy, you have to allow some room to deviate from it. Especially in a Party Poker $10 sit-N-go. I'm sure a lot of us know how the play is in many of those (loose, on the wild side). For example if I get dealt pocket Kings on the first hand of the game and someone goes all in on me, I'm probably going to call that knowing the type of hands people play in a $10 PP sit-N-go. Basically if your getting junk cards don't try to force it especially in a game where your pretty sure your going to get called by a slightly better junky hand. Thats funny you ended up in 2nd, but on a site where the blinds are on a timer (10 minute intervals for example), you probably would of been blinded out, out of the money.

The reason for this is when it gets down to 3 or 4 people, at Party Poker the higher blind levels go by faster than the lower blind levels because there are less people involved, therefore each hand goes by faster(a hand with 4 people at a table usually takes less time than a full table). At many other sites there will just be more hands played at a specific blind level as people drop out, meaning your taking more SB and BB hits before someone gets short stacked and has to push. At Party Poker the blinds go up so fast short handed that even if you weren't there the others might have had to go all in just to not get blinded out themselves. I hope that makes a little bit of sense and gives some reason as to why what happened, happened.

- Steve

card4
07-09-2005, 02:00 AM
I've seen this happen a few times, though the person sitting out usually finished 3-5, not second. I once saw a guy make it into the money in a multi-table tournament while away. He was sitting out the whole time but every time he was forced all in, he won. I saw several times where people just folded to him in the big blind. Had I been sitting a little closer, I would have stolen his blind every time but I was just to his left at the table. It just amazes me when people fail to notice the sitting out message under a players name.

thecaptainjs
07-31-2005, 05:13 PM
Yea, I hear ya there.. ive seen people fold to sit out people too.. its just crazy!!

and coming in second? wow man!!! Thats just crazy!!

peyton999
06-20-2007, 05:37 AM
Tip. 20th out of 2000?
hahah , lol