PDA

View Full Version : Was what I did in this hand wrong?

Shylax
06-21-2005, 12:44 AM
Hi guys,

I'm an okay player. Not novice but not great. I still have a lot to learn but this guy I was playing with questioned this particular play. Since he was the chip leader, I assumed he knew a little of what he was talkin about and maybe it was truly a bad play. I've read your commentary and respect your decision so here it goes.

The blind level in the tourney are 50/100. I have T2300, the BB has 990 and the CL has over T23000. I'm the button and he's in 5th.

Everyone fold to the Chip leader who raises to 200. I'm on the button with :ad: :ks: . So I reraise making it 400. The BB puts his chips all in. The CL calls. Now there's 2380 in the pot. I put in my 590. First question, it was worth it right? I'm getting close to 4 to 1 I figure.

The flop comes :5c: :9c: :kh:

The CL checks. I bet 300 and he calls.

The river is :7c:

The CL checks again. I'm figuring he might have hit his flush but I have to find out. Plus I don't want him getting a free card since running flushes have been killing me. I bet 500. He thinks for a while then folds.

So I turn over my cards and the BB has :ac: :kc:

I win like 700 in the side pot.

The chip leader had :as: :kh: and asked me why did I bluff at the pot when there was a player who all in already? This question bugged me.

Shouldn't I have been trying to get him out of the hand so I can have a 1 on 1 when I had top pair. I figured if he had all in he must have had AA, KK, QQ, AJ or some pocket pair. I was only a huge underdog to two of them.

I dunno. How would you have played it. I lost half my stack on this hand.

Shylax
06-21-2005, 12:46 AM
Oops, correction above. The 7 of clubs was the turn and I forgot the river. It didn't matter....

zerOT
06-21-2005, 03:00 AM
You were defending your strong, yet susceptible, hand with a bet. Also you got someone out of the pot you otherwise would have split with. Sounds like a good play to me... I would have played the hand very similar in that situation.

Only thing I don't understand is if you figured he had a flush, why did you bet? At that point you were dedicated, and would not have had enough chips to fold had he raised you all in and did have you drawing dead.

You were just a little unfortunate that the all-in player was getting a free shot at the main pot.

Lancer
06-21-2005, 04:15 AM
Sounds like the chip leader was just irritated that he folded when he could have split the side pot with you. You played him heads up and made him fold top pair top kicker, likely thinking you had a flush.

Shylax
06-21-2005, 02:26 PM
Thanks guys. You're right. I've just been overanalyzing everything lately and that question made me think "Was there a better way to play this hand?" I mean there was nothing I can do about the all in BB but I had to get the other guy out the pot.

Zerot,

I figured I had to bet the turn. I've been getting killed by suckouts to the river on runner runner flush draws. It's been insane. I figured no more of that. If he had a flush draw after the flop he would have bet or check raised me I believe. Plus he had raised preflop and called an all in but didn't bet the flop so I was about 80% sure he wasn't on a flush draw. When he checked, I figured I had to semi bluff at the pot to know where I stand and to make him pay if he wanted to see the river.

I dunno. Lately I've been getting killed by maniacs with nothing on a two suited flop yet calling my sizeable flop bets and then catching runner, runner to win.

zerOT
06-21-2005, 09:07 PM
Thanks guys. You're right. I've just been overanalyzing everything lately and that question made me think "Was there a better way to play this hand?" I mean there was nothing I can do about the all in BB but I had to get the other guy out the pot.

Zerot,

I figured I had to bet the turn. I've been getting killed by suckouts to the river on runner runner flush draws. It's been insane. I figured no more of that. If he had a flush draw after the flop he would have bet or check raised me I believe. Plus he had raised preflop and called an all in but didn't bet the flop so I was about 80% sure he wasn't on a flush draw. When he checked, I figured I had to semi bluff at the pot to know where I stand and to make him pay if he wanted to see the river.

I dunno. Lately I've been getting killed by maniacs with nothing on a two suited flop yet calling my sizeable flop bets and then catching runner, runner to win.

Ah, ok so you didn't really put him on a flush? Either way I understand your betting. Maybe you'll win one of those freerolls and you can give yourself a shot at a tourney with a buy-in. From your few posts that I've read you seem to understand the game enough to understand that you would do well.

Trust me I understand the runner runner trash.. 34 suited busted my queens to end my last tourney experience lol. I did play the hand weakly so I suppose I deserved it just, it sucks to see that hand flipped over lol.

Shylax
06-22-2005, 02:14 PM
"Trust me I understand the runner runner trash.. 34 suited busted my queens to end my last tourney experience lol. I did play the hand weakly so I suppose I deserved it just, it sucks to see that hand flipped over lol."

Haha, that happened to me before too but not as bad as 34s. You must have been pissed. I was. And like you, mostly at myself. The guy I lost to even scolded me for playing my Queens so weak. Ever since then I play QQ hard like I do KK and AA. I rather get cracked knowing I played them hard then cracked because of my weak play.

Thanks for checking out my post and giving good advice.

card4
06-23-2005, 03:49 AM
First off, how tight was the short stack playing? If he is a rock then you know for him to move all in against a raise and reraise would indicate a strong hand. Unless its AA or KK though, you have a coin flip with AK.

Its really a borderline situation. I think your raise preflop was good to send a message to the chip leader that you have something and won't be pushed off your hand. A lot depends on the type of player the short stack was. Some people will gamble more when they are short and this guy sees 600 in the pot already so he might push all in hoping to win it right there but knowing he will more than double up if he wins. Raising all in after a raise and reraise also shows a lot of strength so he may have been hoping it would be enough to push you off your hand and possibly the chip leader as well. In your case you already had 1/4 of your stack invested so I can certainly see putting in another 590 if you had a ok read on your opponent.

On the flop I'm all in hoping maybe the chip leader had a weaker king and will pay me off. I certainly don't see betting top pair top kicker as bluffing with a player all in. With half my stack invested in the pot and this sort of hand, there is no way I'm just going to check it down and possibly let the chip leader out draw me. I've been sucked out on to many times when there are two suited cards on the flop. If I have a big hand in this case I'm making drawers pay through the nose to take off cards.

Hi guys,

I'm an okay player. Not novice but not great. I still have a lot to learn but this guy I was playing with questioned this particular play. Since he was the chip leader, I assumed he knew a little of what he was talkin about and maybe it was truly a bad play. I've read your commentary and respect your decision so here it goes.

The blind level in the tourney are 50/100. I have T2300, the BB has 990 and the CL has over T23000. I'm the button and he's in 5th.

Everyone fold to the Chip leader who raises to 200. I'm on the button with :ad: :ks: . So I reraise making it 400. The BB puts his chips all in. The CL calls. Now there's 2380 in the pot. I put in my 590. First question, it was worth it right? I'm getting close to 4 to 1 I figure.

The flop comes :5c: :9c: :kh:

The CL checks. I bet 300 and he calls.

The river is :7c:

The CL checks again. I'm figuring he might have hit his flush but I have to find out. Plus I don't want him getting a free card since running flushes have been killing me. I bet 500. He thinks for a while then folds.

So I turn over my cards and the BB has :ac: :kc:

I win like 700 in the side pot.

The chip leader had :as: :kh: and asked me why did I bluff at the pot when there was a player who all in already? This question bugged me.

Shouldn't I have been trying to get him out of the hand so I can have a 1 on 1 when I had top pair. I figured if he had all in he must have had AA, KK, QQ, AJ or some pocket pair. I was only a huge underdog to two of them.

I dunno. How would you have played it. I lost half my stack on this hand.

Shylax
06-23-2005, 01:51 PM
You're right Card4,

I think i should have went all-in after the flop to make him really pay to see the turn. I think that's what I would have done differently. That 300 bet was so small compared to the pot.

What really fascinated the most was how he got over 23000 chips and the blind levels were only 50/100. Usually at that level the highest I've ever seen was maybe 7000-8000. He took advantgae or got a lot of action on good hands that day. I was moved to his table so I didn't see him when he amassed his forutne.

peyton999
06-20-2007, 04:50 AM
You're right Card4,That 300 bet was so small compared to the pot!!!