PDA

View Full Version : Slowplaying Aces

Lancer
06-10-2005, 05:22 AM
This has got to be the most irritating tactic I encounter. Someone just calls with Aces preflop instead of raising. You think you have the best hand with top pair, etc. only to be trounced when the slowplayer reveals his cards.

It happened to me tonight in a $1 tourney at Pokerstars. Near the second break I was having a good tourney, but had dropped a little below the average in chips and got :ah: :kh: on the button. I raised and the guy just to my right was my only caller.

The flop came :ac: :kc: :qc:

I thought about it. I had remembered my opponent raising AK and big pairs earlier, but had not seen him play AA yet. I didn't think he'd call a raise with JT. I also didn't think he'd call with two clubs lower than a Q. He had about the same amount of chips as me. So I decided I had the best hand, and on the chance he had a club, I went all in.

He called and revealed the dreaded :as: :ad:

It took me a second to realize I was beaten. Then I sadly typed in "gg" and left the table.

I realize it's not an uncommon or even a bad tactic, but few things get me riled more at the table than someone slow-playing Aces. On the other hand, I absolutely love to watch someone else get their Aces cracked when they try it. >;D

card4
06-11-2005, 04:23 AM
Tough break, even with the three flush, its hard to get away from top two pair with a single opponent. As far as slowplaying aces goes, its not something I do but in this case your opponent picked a good spot. He is in late position some he only really has to worry about the blinds. What he is really hoping for is exactly what happened, some one acting after picks up a good hand and raises, With a crowd, it is best to reraise here but with a single opponent, smooth calling is a good idea since you are way ahead in the hand and you dont give away the strength of you hand.

adampad
06-11-2005, 03:19 PM
Sometimes you are just destined to lose. I was playing some .50/1.00 limit yesterday which I never really play, and start catching cards. Flop a straight, hit a set and fill up, and then pocket :as: :ah: . I raise preflop and I get reraised! Its capped and the flop comes :6s: :3d: :kh: . We cap it again. Next card comes another :kd: . I know I am beat. I check and call to the showdown and sure enough the other guy had :ad: :ks:. I thought to myself that would not have happened in NL but then I realized it would have been even worse for me. I would have made a good raise preflop and he would have called with AK. The flop would have let to a big raise from me and him probably reraising. We would have been all-in right there. Destiny.

tiptheboss
06-11-2005, 07:08 PM
It is probably best not to slow play the bullets from the examples above. It's not worth getting a bad beat. Don't be greedy, and remember there are plenty of more hands to come. I 'd rather get beat knowing I played them properly.

Rich

Shylax
06-22-2005, 03:18 PM
"I 'd rather get beat knowing I played them properly."

I agree wholeheartedly. The most miserable memories I have of getting my Aces cracked is when I slowplayed them. I vowed never again to mess around with AA, KK or QQ. Just play them strong.

peyton999
06-20-2007, 05:49 AM
I agree wholeheartedly.I vowed never again to mess around with AA, KK or QQ. Just play them strong.