PDA

View Full Version : Thoroughly Addicted to Texas Holdem

Lancer
05-14-2005, 08:29 PM
I've been lurking in these forums since I discovered them a few days ago. This is my first move out of the shadows to actually post. :)

I just started playing Texas Holdem last month. Yep, I'm another TV convert. Watching the WSOP got me interested, and now playing online has me hook, line, and sinker!

I'm currently playing NL at Pokerstars at the very low stakes tables, and the occasional $1 tournament. Not a huge bankroll to play with, but am thoroughly enjoying every minute.

Thanks to all those who post on this forum for helpful info and a place to hang out. :)

thecaptainjs
05-15-2005, 01:59 PM
Ive been playing for a while, I started watching it on TV before it got big, and friends caught on and I got them hooked!

I play on poker stars, and recently noble (because there was a freeroll from this forum and I won $2.50)

On the lesser not as well known sites you have a better chance of winning, but win less.

Poker stars is one of the better ones.

card4
05-30-2005, 03:42 AM
Welcome to tips4poker Lancer. To my knowledge, no one here is a professional and I suspect a lot of other posters are tv converts. I know that seeing the 2003 WSOP main event of ESPN is what got me interested in holdem. I had never even heard of the game until that point.

Best of luck building up your bankroll on pokerstars. When you start out I think starting small is a great idea. It can take a while until you get enough cash together to play the tournaments and at the limits you want but having a small investment will make the swings you have to go through more manageable. Its a lot easier to swallow a bad beat when you only lose a few dollars rather than losing a few hundred. Once you get plently of hands under your belt, you will be more mentally able to cope with bad beats no matter what the stakes.

If you have any questions or tips or just thoughts on the game, please share with the rest of us. Poker is a great game in part because there are so many different ways to play it, each of which can be profitable in different situations. Even if I don't agree with a particular play, I try to evaluate what the person making it was trying to accomplish and use that knowledge the next time I'm faced with a similar situation. Knowing what to do, what opponents expect you to do, and what opponents are expected to do in response is powerful information that can enable you to dominate a game.