PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Focus

zerOT
04-27-2005, 10:51 PM
So you've been playing for an hour and have not seen a playable hand yet. Q2 94 K5 seem to be coming to you over and over again... is there anything you do to stay focused on the game at hand whenever you aren't involved?

I am having difficulty with this lately; I normally just switch the TV on, listen to some music, or even try and get little chores done around the house whenever I seem to be running cold. I know if I just watched the players though I could pick up a lot on them. Which brings up another point.

Those sites with like 3 lines allowed for notes on each person.. does that irk anyone else? I know it really gets me pissed because I feel like 10 words isn't enough to remind me of how a certain person plays.

hughes04
05-01-2005, 08:23 PM
I recommend a program such as poker office that keeps your notes for you.

I try never to get distracteed when i play online. Simply because your dealing with real money. Anything with real money I take very serious and give my full attention. Watch every move the players make.

Sometimes its hard but thats where pokeroffice comes in quite possibly the best 50dollar investment I ever made. It also replaced my win/loss notebook.

FrankBoard
06-01-2005, 09:14 PM
i too have problems of getting out of focus....

i dont play much online (hasnt treated me well, coz i feel i work better when getting reads on an opponents betting strategy)....

but what i do sometimes is realize, i just ahve to physically walk away in order to clear my head of all the "FUGLY" hands i've seen....

sometimes i tell myself "the next hand is gonna be it, you're due"....
but that's a wrong way of thinking....
soemtimes, just clearing my head helps....

maybe you can just do 10 jumping jacks and get some blood flowing to make you feel more positive...

f.

card4
06-05-2005, 02:46 AM
I just about always play more than one table when I'm playing in limit ring games. Occasionally if I'm playing NL or a tournament, I will just focus on a single table but even then I might play two. It just makes it easier because I don't have to get tempted into playing a marginal hand out of position because its the best thing I've seen in an hour. With several tables going at once, I usually have a good hand to play at one of them each deal. However, there have been moments where I just sit back and think to myself, I haven't gotten anything anywhere in the last fifteen minutes.

Keeping focus is so important. It makes all the difference in the world in being able to survive a horrible session with a modest win or a small loss and being able to make the most of days when the cards are going my way.

Earthslash
06-29-2005, 10:21 PM
This frequently happens to me a lot. I was in a tournament the other day and was doing real good, in fact I had the chip lead with about 50 players left. I made the best of my marginal hands and hit some flops, and got doubled up a couple times. After that for an hour and a half I received no playable cards, or in bad position (33 from UTG for example). I didn't play a single hand in fact. If I was impatient I would of played a marginal hand and most likely lose chips and busted out. Instead I kept focus and made the final table even though it was on the short stack.

What I'm trying to say is that you have to stay patient especially against opponents playing wild and loose. If your only playing 1 table you could play a micro-limit ring game or cheap sit-n-go if you find you are going out of your mind on your main table. You might see some cards on one of the tables and that could get your confidence back up. Usually when I start browsing the internet or watching TV between hands, thats a signal I should be focusing more on my poker game.

- Steve