PDA

View Full Version : How 8-9, 9-10, 10-J could lose you big pots when flopping 2 pair

SeiferFF8
04-19-2005, 01:33 AM
:js: :th:

For me, I am skeptical of playing these hands simply because it automatically brings up many draws for your opponents when you do flop 2 pair.

Sure you have the best hand at the flop, but there will almost always be an open-ended straight draw for someone else or a flush draw.

In this case, there are 21 cards that can crush you at the turn of river (flush=9, open-enders=6, and gut-shots=6 [usually they'll chase it with AK trying to make the nuts with a J-10 flop]) for over 65% chance that you can actually lose, even with 2 pair!!!

I'm in limbo when this happens with 5-8 people in the hand. How would you play this?

adampad
04-19-2005, 04:16 AM
I always play these hands in ring games if I can limp in. I am an aggressive player though. I will bet with anything, and it won't be a small bet. :js: th: is one of my favorite hands. I would rather have it than :js: :jh:. The :js: th: combo is really nice because you cannot make a bad straight with it. Its the only combo that has 4 different straights and all of them are the nut straight.

When you flop 2 pair with these, pay attention to other peoples bets. If they bet small they are probably wanting to see another card. I'd raise them the pot. If they raised me back, I'd be worried. If they call it, I'd see what they do next and plan my attack from there. Remember you still have a shot at a boat as well.

My advice is this: NEVER let people see cards cheaply.

MustangKid
04-19-2005, 01:43 PM
Raise em up. When i dont want people to chase I make it known. But hey if they are its going to cost them. I'd prob bet $25 there on the flop then if they call and the turn dosnt help. Make it around $40 for them to see the river. (of course this will be dif. depending on the stakes you play, but this is how I usualy do)

steve_rowePA
04-20-2005, 03:10 AM
but saying that whould be the same as saying u dont like playing big slick and somen like KQ.. no matter what hand u got u got a good chance of someone having something better... but ant that the reson we like poker so much?
o and 2 pair is still good.. cuz 2 pair can e-zly make a boat :)

SeiferFF8
04-20-2005, 07:12 AM
I'm not saying that you shouldn't play middle connectors. I think they're great hands.

But I just wanted to point out that 2 pair with them while "5-7" handed could make you easily vulnerable at getting cracked with possible open-ended straights and flush draws. As for hitting the boat, it's tough since they likely are holding your cards.

It's almost a coin flip come turn and river that you will win if one person's calling all the way to an open ended straight and another calls all the way trying to hit 1 of 9 flush cards.

Flopping 2 pair with middle connectors will either win you a fortune or cripple your stack while while "5-7" handed. Don't expect everyone to fold when you push and don't expect to win the pot more than half the time.

1rainbow
04-21-2005, 07:38 PM
call a low bet then fold if nothing flops

ReadChomsky
04-21-2005, 08:16 PM
I can empathize. I once had A-K, raised it of course; one guy called it. The flop came A-K-3. I made a pot sized bet. The guy raised it. I didn't listen to the TJ Cloutier in my head that told me he had pocket 3s. So I went all-in, and he called it, and I lost.