PDA

View Full Version : The call that wasn't justified....

adampad
04-08-2005, 05:26 PM
I remember once I had pocket QQ and was playing heads up against someone. The flop came with a K and someone in the chat started telling everyone he had folded a K. I was upset and told him to keep his mouth shut. Anyway, I won the hand but lost my temper. A day later the same player, is at my table. I had a J9 and the board came AKJ5T or something like that. Its been a while I wish I could remember the details. Anyway, the guy had played the hand conservatively until the last card and he goes all in. The pot odds and any common sense would say fold. BUT I KNEW he was bluffing. I called and busted him with my pair of Jacks. He showed a terrible hand. If I remember correctly he was on a flush draw.

card4
04-09-2005, 03:48 AM
That was a big call for sure. Great read on your opponent. There are just so many hands out there that beat your jacks with a nine kicker. Any AKQ has you, plus there are a lot of two pair possibilities as well. I would have folded. Great read and way to take down a pot that many players would have lost.

Reads are huge in NL and you made a nice one that paid off.

donvic
04-18-2005, 10:01 PM
adampad,

yes ive noticed this too.

i use to fold in the same situation,

especially when they put you all in.

even with nothing on the board.

so ive started to listen to my gut also

when 1. they are very aggressive bluffers to

begin with 2. there betting pattern wasnt

logical or is suspicious. yes, most of the time

im right about the play.

best,
donvic

kansaspoker
04-19-2005, 10:39 AM
I agree. All in bets are usually meant to thrawt calls. When you got the nuts, why go all in and not want a call? A major flag goes off in people's head when the betting pattern is suspicious.

1rainbow
04-21-2005, 07:39 PM
glad u got him adam