PDA

View Full Version : Hand Analyzis

Breitenfeld
04-06-2005, 12:31 AM
Freeroll tournament on pokerhost, originally very loose playing (1.074 entries). 19 players left. My stack appr.: 28.000. BB 3.000. UTG calls, everybody folds, I raise to 6.000 with

:ah: :kd:

UTG calls.

:2s: :2h: :5c:

I check, UTG bets 6.000

My thoughts: To call the blind of 3.000 and to call the raise indicates two high cards. A - 5 or A - 2 was much less believable than the idea to steal the pot (after this flop).

I go All-in. UTG takes a lot of time (I was already sure he was going to fold), but he calls with:

:4s: :4c:

Turn and river helped neither of us.

Was my bet wrong (respecting the fastly increasing blinds), his call, or was it just bad luck?

KKalwaysWINS
04-06-2005, 05:03 AM
Why are you thinking A2 - A5 as what your worried about... in a freeroll tournament almost any pocket pair would call your raise there...

egthareal
04-06-2005, 05:51 AM
Ya, his I'm not too wild about his call with 4-4 but when it comes down to it in freerolls sometimes if you get a gut feeling your willing to just chance it. At the point in which you bet you only had like a 15% chance to win with the two overcards. I personally would've liked to see you go all-in preflop and at least steal the blinds, although its possible UTG would have called that too.

Its a freeroll; not sure what else to say! Hard to analyze.

egthareal
04-06-2005, 08:28 AM
Also, good job to Breitenfeld for being the first to use Mini-Cards in his post! I'll be adding to your reputation points. (PS: You guys too can add to people's reputation by simply clicking the SCALE icon in the top right hand of the post, if you approve of a post! HINT HINT: These REP Points might be useful in a FUTURE contest ;) )

mikester47
04-06-2005, 07:34 PM
I do not think your play was very good, as with big blinds tournament play typically comes down to two high cards like yours, versus pocket pairs. And with that low of a flop, the only thing he has to worry about is a bigger pocket pair. Not a very good play by you. You probly should have simply called, then hoped to have an ace king queen or jack or possibly a ten hit the board and then bet strongly on it.

Breitenfeld
04-06-2005, 07:44 PM
Thank you mikester47! This is the answer!
My first mistake was, not to think at all about the pocket pair (this happens to me very often, unfortunately). Calling and going all in after at least a T on turn or river would have had much more chance to scare him away. With my move, I made it rather obvious to him that I was holding nothing but two high cards.

dad604
04-06-2005, 10:25 PM
With AK or any decent hand, I would always raise to just 3x. Even with big pockets (AA, KK, etc.), it is still right to raise 3x. That way the other player do not know if you have just good hand or AA.

In your situation, raise to 3x and if UTG raise allin, most likely I'll fold AK. Against pocket pair it would be just under 50%. If you are the better player, wait for better EV before committing stack. If the opponents are better than you then it would be right to go with the 50/50.