PDA

View Full Version : Anyone watch Hollywood Holdem tonight?

card4
03-21-2005, 02:48 AM
What did you think of it? Better than Celebrity Poker Showdown?

egthareal
03-23-2005, 04:09 AM
Unfortunately forgot to TIVO it, did anyone else catch it? Supposivly got decent reviews!

Anyone?

egthareal
03-26-2005, 10:24 PM
So, I finally got around to TIVO'ing this. And, I'm sad I did. The best part of the whole show was the hot girl from "THAT 70's SHOW" playing poker. But, overall a huge disgrace to poker. I've seen games at my very house that are more entertaining than this.

This show seems like E! pulled it together at the last possible second and just wants to hop on the poker bandwagon and ruin it for everyone else.

Anyone else feel this way???

card4
03-27-2005, 12:50 AM
I just watched a tape of the second show. If you hated the first episode then there is no point in watching further. Its not a bad show, its just not good enough to watch unless you have absolutely nothing else to do.

With all that said, I thought the first episode was ok. There were a lot of big hands on that one (some guy flopped a royal flush for goodness sake!) Plus it was nice seeing a table full of players who at least understood the basics of how to play the game (unlike celebrity poker showdown, cps). Watching this show isn't going to improve your game but if you just watch for the table talk like so many people do for CPS then you will probably like this show as well.

The saving grace for this show is Phil Laak. Even if this show bombs I hope some one takes notice of how good a host or poker commentator Phil would make. He lays out basic odds and hand information but he is also fun to watch even if I knew nothing about poker.

Bottom line, this show isn't a great moment in poker tv history but the show is atleast as good, if not better than CPS. If you like one, then you will probably like the other.

zerOT
03-27-2005, 03:54 AM
I watched the first episode and fell asleep. I thought about it and realized that it really has that "home game" feel to it and I suppose that's what E! was aiming for? I got around to the second episode because it was like 3 in the morning and nothing else was on and I kind of enjoyed watching it (even when the fat guy that wrote for GamePro was all serious and annoying about it). I mean I'll catch the next one to see if I like it any better.

Seriously though if someone like John Juanda hosted the show, and no offense intended, I would probably pass out from boredom. JJ is awesome to watch, but for the show to really have that home game atmosphere to it there has to be a Phil Laak-kind-of-guy hosting the show. On one last note... did Macauly seem like somewhat of a creepy kind of guy to anyone else... what happened to him since he was like 6?

egthareal
03-27-2005, 08:01 PM
Two words....

Michael Jackson

;)

Going back to my review I guess I was kinda hard on it. Looking at it from the "home game" perspective it isn't all that bad. However, I have had some better homegames than that (minus MAC)

zerOT
04-01-2005, 03:02 AM
I'm watching the newer one right now and I have to say it is actually really entertaining. The line up is Vince Van Patten, James Wood, Norm Macdonald, Vince's wife, some dude off the O.C., and someone else? I mean no real great poker going on but either way it was fun to watch. Better than the other few they've shown.

Maybe, hopefully, eventually, possibly... they'll get celebrities that will play some hardcore poker sometime.

card4
04-02-2005, 02:06 AM
I caught part of the third show. Its one of those things that I think if I'm home eating and there is nothing else on I'll watch it. Otherwise I wont make an effort to tune in. Its okay and definitely has potential but right now its just not that great to watch.

I'd like to see Ben Affleck, Matt Damon, and whoever else they could round up to go at it. I think that would be good to watch. Either that or Phil Gordon vs Phil Laak heads up for the celebrity poker host title.

Tamster
04-23-2005, 03:56 AM
yes i have been watching it, i have to agree better then celebrity poker, some actors can play..

jsleepoverc
04-29-2005, 06:25 AM
celebrity poker better, a lot of bluffing

peyton999
06-21-2007, 06:21 AM
I watched the first episode ... I must say a lot of bluffing is there and i think some actors can really play well.