PDA

View Full Version : Bluffing When a Player Is All-In

Gerbuex
02-22-2005, 09:50 PM
Hi all,

I seen this in the freeroll and it REALLY bugged me. It's also Daniel Negranu's pet peeve too (if you don't know who he is, he's been named the cardplayer of the year by Cardplayer mag).

Let me give the situation:

Player 1 - ALL IN PREFLOP (10-9 offsuit)
Player 2 - Call (7-2 offsuit)
Player 3 - Call A-K
Player 4 - Call 3-3

OK. Flop comes Q-8-4 Rainbow. Player 3 and 4 wisely check, and player 2 decides to try to "bluff" and raises. 3 and 4 fold, and player 1 wins with his 10 high. (Assuming bricks on trun and river)

Not only did player 2 not get any chips, HE ALLOWED THE ALL IN PLAYER TO SURVIVE!! Which is huge in tournamnent play.

Please, please do not be like player 2!

card4
02-25-2005, 01:32 AM
This bugs me too. If there is a big side pot, I understand bluffing to win that but with three or four people in a hand, I prefer checking it down unless I happen to have a very strong hand that I know will beat the all in player. In that case, I'm looking to get the most money from a side pot as possible.

A related thing I hate seeing in tournaments is when a big stack wont call a single raise or even half raise from a short stack who goes all in. You should never give up the blinds to a shortstack, especially late when blinds are big and especially if there are antes too. If you have a huge chip lead and it will only cost one or two BB to try to get lucky then do it. The shortstack could just be going it with a dry ace or a small pocket pair so your trash 72 might draw out to a winner.

lepermessiah57
03-04-2005, 05:25 PM
I see this all the time and it angers me so much when the player has absolutely nothing and there is no side pot or a very small one. Common sense should prevail and he should realize that he is basically tossing his money away.
________
RZ500 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Yamaha_RZ500)

Singletoned
03-19-2005, 10:32 PM
Yeah, but every now and then it happens to you too. You're short stacked, lots of people call your all-in, and then someone knocks them out with an aggressive raise and you've just quadrupled through.

poppa
03-19-2005, 11:10 PM
If there was a side pot yea, but just bad play , which i see a lot of these days.

2Tone
03-30-2005, 06:56 PM
But why would you call with 7/2 no matter what? All you are going to do is double the guy up. Very poor play in my view.

boburke
03-30-2005, 11:04 PM
I see it all the time online. It is pointless most the time to bluff the side pot.

Four2Eight
03-31-2005, 06:14 PM
Always thought the idea in MTT's was to get other players out, not give them chips with bad calls. I play in alot of the MTT's on Party and see this all the time, even in the early rounds. I can see the AK or maybe the tiny pockets, but 7/2. NO

adampad
04-08-2005, 04:40 PM
I made a mistake similiar to this situation in a ring game before. Five or six players or so where heavily invested before the flop and it was checked to me in the dealer position. I had nothing and made a very large bet only to be called by someone with just a few chips left. He even admitting he wouldn't have called if he had more chips. I kinda felt sorry for whoever folded the winning hand.